Wednesday, October 19, 2011

VeganMoFo V: Taste the Rainbow


Ever since I heard of Skittles vodka a couple of years ago, I've wanted to make it.  Skittles were my favorite candy as a kid, so I was beyond stoked when they took the gelatin out.  Plus, vodka is my favorite alcohol.

This is super easy, and doesn't yield a crazy amount.  Basically, you have enough to make a handful of drinks with each flavor.  I used mason jars because we don't buy bottled water.  It was just as easy to do, though I split them up into batches.

lemon skittles vodka
I can tell you my favorites right away: lime, orange and strawberry.  Lemon reminds me too much of Limoncello, which kinda sends me into full body shivers.  Grape reminds me of cough medicine, giving me flashbacks of being pinned down to take my meds.

These make for vodka on the sweet side, so I think they are best with unsweetened things.  Maybe tea, tonic, club soda.  I'd even like to try it with gingerale.  I think I'm going to save all of the lime for Halloween, though.

vodka party up in herre
Not quite sure what I'm doing tomorrow.  However, I'll be reading a lot of blogs when I get home tonight.  Later y'all!

15 comments:

Lauren said...

You've lived my dream!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Awesome! I wish skittles here were vegan.

Jes said...

OMG HOW COOL IS THAT??? Totally want to make some for Halloween! Go Mo!

Rachel Hallows said...

That just looks impressive, even if it only took overnight (according to the tutorial).

x said...

The colours are so bright, especially the green, I would like to try them all!

Anonymous said...

My hero!

foodfeud said...

Yes! They look so awesome! Green is perfect for Halloween. I'm not a huge vodka fan but I would for this!

radioactivegan said...

That looks great! I find a mixture of vegan/not vegan skittles, so I rarely grab them since I have to remember to read the package (a huge chore ... heh). I'll have to get some gelatin-free and see what the rainbow tastes like. Now if only they'd get the gelatin out of starbursts, I'd be set!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Skittles Vodka, but I'm definitely going to have to try it now!

jessy said...

so awesome, Mo! vodka is my first love, for sure - and we don't buy bottled water either. w00t! the grape flavor would remind me of medicine, too - far too often my mother forced that "dimetapp" crap down my throat. ick! your drinks sure do look super pretty!

Caz said...

ahhh awesome party idea! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I love that idea! I have been wanting to throw a rainbow themed potluck for forever, these would be perfect!

Jen Treehugger said...

RAINBOWS and LIQUOR!
My life is complete.
:-)

Sarah E. Hoffman said...

I've wanted to make this for years as well. You've inspired me!

Luciana said...

This would be so cute in pitchers at a party!