Friday, October 7, 2011

VeganMoFo V: Everyday I'm Cabbage Patchin'


Growing up, I absolutely hated cabbage.  I'm pretty sure it had to do with smelling off sauerkraut or something.  In the traditional Southern way...I kinda still dislike it.  I cringe at the idea of cooking all the life out of greens and adding vinegar to the whole thing.  Brr.

The first time I fell in love with cabbage again was when my mother-in-law, Mrs. C, showed up with a huge pot at our back door.  At first, I was a little scared.  Then, I smelled the most wonderful aroma of cumin.  When I opened that pot, I bit into the best cabbage of my life.  So, I dedicate this to her.  Mrs. C is the kindest, most self sacrificing woman I know, and she is the reason I loves me some cabbage.

This is my interpretation of her "recipe."  Now you know Southern women, and especially Texans, never write a damn recipe for anything.  Everything is by look and feel.  By the way, this is ridiculously easy to make.  I'm talking maybe 20 minutes from start to finish.

delicious cabbage
Mrs. C’s Cabbage
(serves 6-8)
gluten free
soy free

This recipe is very adaptable.  Want less oil?  Use less.  If you're a garlic fiend, go ahead and throw more in.  Also feel free to use about a cup of canned tomatoes if fresh is unavailable to you.

2 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced into half moons
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fine sea salt, more or less to taste
1 medium head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
black pepper to taste

In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato, minced garlic, cumin seeds, and salt and cook for 1 more minute. Add the cabbage. Stir to coat the cabbage and place a lid on the pot. Cook for 15 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally so the cabbage doesn’t burn. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This dish goes perfectly with any Tex Mex meal.  I especially love to serve this alongside fideo and borracho beans.

Tomorrow, I'm doing another food memory: kolaches!  But, totally doing the savory stuffed Texas version.  Holla!

9 comments:

Andrea said...

I was hungry when I started reading, now I'm starving. The cabbage looks so wonderful, and adding whole cumin seeds is the way to go if you want great flavor. Thanks to you and Mrs. C for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What excellent timing! I have some cabbage in the refrigerator that I need to cook tomorrow. This recipe fits the bill perfectly! It looks delicious!

Love said...

That looks great! I've always liked cabbage, but it's only since I became vegan that I've discovered FRIED cabbage and now I love it! I will try this recipe for sure, before tomato season is over.

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight, and it was very tasty! Thanks!

Zoa said...

Okay, once again you got me. I had this for supper tonight, with meatballs, and it was truly delicious. Thanks to you and Mrs. C!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Glad you liked it, Cadry!

KitteeBee said...

I'm intrigued by this, 'cuz in NOLA cabbage is smothered and cooked beyond recognition. This is more like how I'd do it if I were stuffin' it into spring rolls or something.

I love cabbage in any form, so I'm in.
xo
kittee

Julia said...

I love making a cabbage "recipe" that's really similar (I use lime juice and coconut and not tomato). What's funny is I think it goes perfect with Indian food! Though now I can see how it would go equally well with Tex-Mex stuff. :)

x said...

This looks really good, Mo and I love that it's gfree & sfree!

I don't think we ever had cabbage as a side but I've made it a few times and hated it so I will try this recipe.