Sunday, October 16, 2011

VeganMoFo V: Best Thing I Never Ate-Wolfgang Puck Edition


We've entered the stage of MoFo where I completely veer from my plans and just go with the flow (mostly).  I was trying to think about what I wanted to do for this blog, when I caught this beauty on a recorded episode of Best Thing I Ever Ate.  It was the one with dishes as good as Mom's cooking.  Well, Wolfgang Puck described these decadent, eggy Austrian pancake things called kaiserschmarrn.  What follows is the most defeating and hysterical account of recipe making I've ever encountered.

kaiserschmarrn on a bed of strawberry sauce
The recipe seemed easy enough: a pancake (eggs, flour, sugar, vanilla, milk), raisins (or cranberries if you live with a raisin hater), and rum.  My first attempt, I went with this recipe.  I used Ener G to replace the egg.  Big mistake.  I think Ener G is officially my nemesis.  It made everything super gummy and gross.  I'm gonna have to break up with it for good.  I never even use the stuff.

My second attempt, I just modified my own pancake recipe.  I added yogurt for an egginess and baking powder for the leavening.  Something went horribly wrong and it tasted bitter.  I started chewing it, but it just fell out of my mouth because it was so horrible.  As in...my jaw unhinged because I couldn't even process how bad it was.  Era was laughing at me.

By this time, I pledged I would lock myself in the bedroom if I didn't get a pancake out of this.  So I went back and did it again.  I think it was a success.  Don't ask me if it tastes like kaiserschmarrn because I've never had it before.  It tasted like an eggy pancake.  I think if I make this again, though, I'd use the Vegan Brunch omelet as a reference.  I'm thinking silken tofu would get more of the texture needed.

Tomorrow is another Mandy Moore day!  Hooray!  For now, I have geology and English to do.  Hope everybody had a great weekend.

6 comments:

Allysia said...

LOL, my day was a similar story! I love when people share their fail stories, though - it's good to know I'm not the only one who weathers kitchen disasters. I'm super impressed you went back to try a third time - I probably would've thrown in the towel by then!

GiGi said...

Hey Ener-g hater...that's you...but you great Austrian pancake maker...did the ener-g turn the pancakes green, that happened when my crazy boy made pancakes with it once. I can live the ener-g but not in pancakes.

Elisabeth said...

I am sorry that you had two fails in the kitchen while creating these beautiful pancakes. I hate kitchen fails, especially in baking, you feel like you wasted all this time and were looking forward to something delicious and it was not up to your expectations.

affectioknit said...

YUM!

I nominated you for the Liebster Blog award!

Have a lovely day!

Anonymous said...

Mo, you're always at least one step ahead of me! I also wanted to make Kaiserschmarrn - and use Ener-G, because my pregan recipe calls for three eggs... Now I'm not so sure.
Congrats on the perseverance, though! I hope your end result was worth it.

x said...

Well the finished product looks really good to me and I love the idea of pancakes with raisins.