Monday, October 10, 2011

VeganMoFo V: Banana and Coconut Stew with Ugali


On "the smiling coast of Africa," lies a small country by the name of The Gambia.  I had never heard of it before, but used a random country generator to figure out what international cuisine I wanted to try next.  When I happened upon this stew, my mouth dropped.  It sounded so frickin delicious I could hardly wait to make it.

I used this Banana and Coconut Beef Stew recipe.  I had to modify it a bit, though.  I halved it, used plantains instead of bananas, and replaced the beef with TVP.  The stew also calls for a dish called ugali.  It's reminiscent of polenta but ultra stiff.  You seriously have to cut into it once the thing has cooled.  Simple and delicious.

The stew was really easy to make.  It's very hearty, so you could probably add more coconut milk and water if you like your stews a bit thinner.  My personal favorite was using the plantains.  I originally bought them super green, but they had turned yellow.  All the better!  The plantains offered a pop of sweetness that cut through the creamy coconut milk base.  I also love all the pea action going on.  This was seriously good and filling.

banana and coconut stew w/ ugali
Banana and Coconut Stew (modified from linked version)
1 cup large granule TVP
1 cup boiling broth
1 tsp marmite (optional)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 roma tomatoes
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup water
2 medium yellow plantains
¼ lb frozen peas
3 oz snow peas
salt and pepper to taste

Rehydrate the TVP with the broth and marmite.  Set aside.  Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, and add the onion.  Cook until the onion just starts to brown before adding the tomatoes and TVP.  Cook until the tomatoes have broken down a bit, maybe 3 minutes.  Add the coconut milk and water.  Bring to a boil.  Lower to a simmer, add the plantains and peas, and cover.  Cook for 15 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with white rice or ugali.

Sorry to cut it a bit short, but I have an anthropology exam tomorrow.  Study time!

6 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I have always had banana and coconut as a sweet food together, but this idea sounds very interesting and worth trying. And I have a jar of Marmite :-)

GiGi said...

This recipe leaves me smiling. Have I told you lately how much I dig coconut milk, ooh especially with peas. Another great post from Mo!A definite whip this up!

MeShell said...

Good Luck on your exam!
mmm ugali. I want to make this soon.

x said...

Yum! I like that you used plantains instead of bananas, it sounds like such a great comforting stew.

And every time you mention Anthropology I think of Community ;)

Julie Lynn said...

Oh goodness, that looks yummy!

Loz Bear said...

This looks so good!