Tuesday, October 18, 2011

VeganMoFo V: Australian Meat Pies


I got super excited when I chose Australia as my next international cuisine.  While in Portland for Vida Vegan Con, I got to see my Aussie friend, Rich.  I hadn't seen him in close to 5 years.  He was a teammate on my first poetry slam team waaaay back in '01.  He was a jaded 28 year old then, and I was the 18 year old newb.  Funny...now he's mellowed out a lot, and I'm the jaded one.  Ha!

Anyway, while in Portland, he told me about how he feels more Texan than Australian now, because he lived in Texas most of the time he's been in the states.  So, this one's for Rich.  Though, he's totally never reading this thing.

before the oven
As for recipes, I used this one as a foundation.  I totally did not follow it, though.  I just wanted to see what type of flavor profile the meat pies have.  Of course, I had to make these mini.  My love of mini things knows no bounds.  I simply put the puff pastry in cupcake tins.  Super easy.

The filling was pretty straightforward.  TVP, onion, garlic, peas, and carrots.  I made a gravy and added a small amount of soy sauce and marmite to make if "beefy".

aww yeah...
The only other thing I know about these pies is that they are served with ketchup.  At first, the idea of putting ketchup on puff pastry wigged me out, but it is seriously fabulous!  Love it.  Meat pies are awesome!

Tomorrow, I've got a drunken rainbow headed your way.  Hell to the yes.

8 comments:

K said...

Yay for an aussie theme, meat pies really are big here and yes you have to serve it with ketchup or as we call it tomato sauce :-)

foodfeud said...

Drunken anything sounds good to me! Love the cute little compact pies.

Mel said...

Well done for trying out gold old Aussie meat pies! We do have mini versions over here as well which are called party pies. Sauce is an essential topping on meat pies. :D

Scissors and Spice said...

I must make these! Holding hands with comfort food is on zen place.

Susan said...

So great to see an Australian theme on a blog. :)
Yay for party pies!

Anonymous said...

I would not be into the ketchup either! It sounds gross but I'm glad you liked it and your pie is freakin' adorable.

There is a place in Austin called Boomarang that does meat pies and they have vegan options but neither of them are meat pies!

Jen Treehugger said...

I freaking LOVE ketchup on meaty pies! IT ROCKS!!
These little pies look soooo good.
:-)

dreaminitvegan said...

Love these little pies...would be great to freeze I'd think