Wednesday, October 26, 2011

VeganMoFo V: Best Thing I Never Ate-Tyler Florence Edition


Technically, this isn't from Best Thing I Never Ate.  I just love Tyler Florence and Tyler's Ultimate.  I think his food is some of the most gorgeously shot food on the Food Network.  On the rare occasions that dude makes something veganizable, I'm totally there.

I've been wanting to make his ultimate Swedish meatballs for years.  Well, last night I did.  Totally amazeballs.

lingonberry sauce, mashed taters, meatballs, gravy, pickled cukes
The meal has three elements.  He serves the meatballs with these amazing potatoes and pickled cucumbers.  Tyler also does not skimp on the fat.  I didn't use nearly as much as he said, though adding a wee bit of olive oil to the potatoes made them super amazing.  Best potatoes ever!

For the meatballs, I just tweaked an albondigas recipe I've been working on.  It worked out fine, though I'm thinking about trying to make them soy and gluten free.  Anyway, the recipe I used last night is below.

this totally tastes like thanksgiving
Swedish Meatballs
1½ cups textured vegetable protein granules
1 cup beef flavored or regular vegetable broth
1 tsp marmite or 2 tsp dark miso
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp vegan worcestershire or steak sauce
4 Tbsp oil or margarine
1 small onion, minced
½ cup non-dairy milk
1½ tsp ground allspice
salt and black pepper to taste
2 bread slices, crusts removed, soaked in non-dairy milk
¾ cup vital wheat gluten

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a large cookie sheet with non stick spray.  Bring the broth, marmite, olive oil, soy sauce, and worcestershire to a boil over medium heat.  Pour over the tvp to rehydrate. Meanwhile, heat the oil or margarine in a large skillet.  Cook the onion until translucent.  Mix the onion with the tvp before adding the milk, allspice, salt and pepper.  Squeeze the excess milk from the bread slices and add them to the tvp mixture.  Combine everything thoroughly before mixing in the vital wheat gluten.  Roll into walnut sized balls and place on greased cooking sheet.

Spray the tops with more non-stick spray and bake for 20 minutes.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes while you prepare the gravy.

So...  Am I the only nerd with a thorough outline for next year's MoFo?  I already know and am researching my theme.  I feel way too disorganized this year.  Excited for this to come around again.  Tomorrow I can finally catch up on blogs.  Woo!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We always ate Swedish meatballs for holidays. No turkeys or ham, it was (and still is) about the meatballs. I'll have to try this recipe. The one I've made for a few years has boca crumbles which I'd kind of like to get away from. The TVP would be cheaper too.

KitteeBee said...

I have a total boner for Tyler. He's my favorite FN personality by far.
xo
kittee

Jen Treehugger said...

Nice albondigas! I love the huge dollop of cranberry sauce too.
I was totally disorganised this year too, I'm definitely gonna get mah shit together for next MoFo.
<:-)

omgoshimvegan said...

Those look really good. I haven't tried to make any vegan meatballs and can't wait to give these a try.

Ty (aka Meccabell) said...

That is ultimate comfort food right there.

vegan.in.brighton said...

What an amazing looking plate of food. I'll have to try your meatballs soon, did you make the lingonberry save yourself too? I have some lingonberry jam in the fridge, perhaps I could use that.

You're definitely not the only person who's thinking about next years MoFo theme. I've started a list of ideas so that I'm not so freaked out when MoFo sneaks up on me next year!

Bibow said...

Is there a gravy recipe with this?

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Bibow, I just veganized the gravy from Florence's recipe. Replaced butter with Earth Balance, chicken stock with No Chicken Better than Bouillon, and cream with non-dairy milk.