Sunday, October 30, 2011

VeganMoFo V: Salsa Lovin' Had Me a Blast


This is kind of an impromptu post. Last night, Era and I went to a family friendly Halloween party...only I didn't know it was family friendly until we got there.  My costume was Zoe from Fanboys (Picasso's blue period), so I had dyed tampons all over me.  Awkward.

Anyway, it was totally not vegan friendly.  Can a mothatrucka get a veg tray?!  However, the hosts were awesome AND made some damn fine salsas.  Era and I had an in depth talk about it last night.  At the very least, the two states I've resided in know their frickin salsas.  The host was telling us that the secret to their chunky variation was relish.  Whaaat?!  I even hate loathe abhor sweet relish, but that salsa was the jam!

my 30 second salsa.  recipe here.
My favorite salsa is definitely red, but I love all kinds.  Fruit ones, bean ones, corn, pepper based.  It's all good...

Pico de gallo-Fresh salsa.  Everything is diced.  This makes a perfect addition to quesadillas.  Just throw it in with the cheeze.  This recipe looks super.
Salsa Verde-I don't eat this nearly enough, but I used to go to a place that made poblano enchiladas with delicious salsa verde.  Cooking In Mexico has a few recipes.
Mango Salsa-This always reminds me of tropical things.  I really want to try it on some coconut tofu or something.  This recipe looks kinda nice because the huge mango chunks caught my eye.
Black Bean Salsa-I have served this at many a Festivus.  It's so easy and a bit more filling than your regular tomato variety.  Check out this droolworthy one.
Salsa Roja-Maybe the most complicated salsa to me.  It's got such a depth of flavor that I loves it.  However, working with dried chiles is scary to me.  I've not had very good experiences with getting great flavor from the.  User error for sure.  Peep the recipe I found.
Corn Salsa-I love this salsa so hard.  Actually, it always makes me want to go to Chipotle.  Fresh corn is the best, but holy crap I have to try this roasted corn salsa!

Hope everybody had a great weekend.  Expect many comments from me once MoFo is over and I have time to breathe.

5 comments:

Amey said...

nice Grease reference, Mo!
YES to Salsa. I love salsa so much it's just crazy. I've never heard of relish in salsa!!?? I would've thought it would be disgusting, but I trust your discerning palette. Also, love the tampon image!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Haha, I'm sorry but the idea of going to a family friendly halloween party covered in blue tampons is hilariously awesome!! I made my first ever salsa the other day to go with my tamales, it was the tomatillo salsa from Viva Vegan & it was really delicious.

Lizzie Bordello said...

Yay, Fanboys love!!

Erin said...

Sweet relish in salsa? How...American. I bet I would love it.

x said...

I loved the title of this post too ;)

And yay for salas, they can really make a meal excellent.