Monday, October 3, 2011

VeganMoFo V: MMMM-Because I Said So


It has arrived!  My very first Mandy Moore Movie Monday.  If you don't know, I own a lot of Mandy Moore movies.  I find her to be absolutely darling, and it's kinda refreshing not having the Candy video seared into my brain for eternity.

The movie I watched is called Because I Said So.  The cast: Mandy, Diane Keaton, Gabriel Macht, Tom Everett Scott, Piper Perabo, Lauren Graham, and Stephen Collins.  If you watch this, you should skip the first 10 minutes and get to the good stuff.

Diane Keaton plays a meddling mother who is always interfering with her daughter's life.  Mandy plays this spastic girl who always falls for the wrong guy, so Crazy Mama puts a singles ad out for her daughter.  Mandy's character ends up being with two guys, one of 'em is Gabriel Macht.  Macht is the charm behind this thing.  Dude is hot, and I love how he interacts with Mandy.  Oh, did I mention they're all wedding caterers...with a specialty in cakes?

this bad boy was thoroughly covered in goddess dressing after the photo
You Have a 'Gina Menu
Rom Com Cheeze Crisps
Playin' the Field of Greens Salad
Meddlin' Mama Mia's Spaghetti Cake
Lots of Cheap Red Wine

This is seriously one of those cheesy romantic comedies, but it's not overly trite.  That's mostly due to Keaton's insane character and Gabriel Hot Macht's storyline.

instead of using pureed berries, i used jam
The cake was easy to put together.  It was a mini cake from 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes with store bought frosting.  I made a mug brownie for the meatballs, and jam was used for the sauce.  I didn't even have a piping bag, so I used a sandwich bag for the sketti.  So fun!

Tomorrow is something international, though technically the island I'm inspired by is a part of the US.  Well, I'm off to class!

22 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

I love Meddlin' Mama Mia's Spaghetti Cake. Genius!

Dawn said...

Mandy Moore Monday = genius! I really hope you do A Walk To Remember, and I'm trying to imagine what you'd make for it. :)

Amey said...

OH MY GOD THAT CAKE IS AMAZING!!!!!

Mo, you are blowing my mind. First of all, how cute are you??? I love the little names you came up with for each item. You are the best. Also, I LOVE that cake. I will have to make one for Musty, he would love it SO MUCH. But his birthday is still months away, can I possibly wait that long???

Elisabeth said...

The spaghetti meatballs cake is awesome! I saw a similar one in Food Network magazine once and I was thinking about veganizing it.

Andrea said...

The spaghetti cake is hilarious. Only you could come up with something like that.

Rose said...

That spaghetti cake is awesome! At first, I thought it was savory spaghetti just presented like a little cake, but going from salad straight to real cake is inspired...perfect for a movie night.

I think I've seen this film, but I might have to watch it again now...

Anonymous said...

I love that cake! What a great idea!

Lauren said...

Did you see her walkmman in the video?! Time warp!

radioactivegan said...

Saved is one of my favorite movies! Mandy Moore is great in it :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, 2 things:
First of all, I love Mandy Moore myself! Just saw "A Walk to Remember" for like, the kabillionth time and still cried like a little baby. I love "Because I Said So" too! Dude IS hot, by the way. You are right!
Secondly, you are seriously blowing my mind with that cake!!!!!! It is AMAZING! Nice work... xo, Cara

Amber @ Zombie Cats Eating Plants said...

Like everyone else, I'm LOVING the spaghetti cake. The brownie balls with jam sauce are pure genius. I actually quite enjoyed that movie as well, and you are right, Mandy Moore is a super cute actor. I can't wait to see what's in store for next Mandy Moore Movie Monday. :)

x said...

I haven't seen this Mandy movie but I will make sure that changes very soon!

I love the menu you came up with, especially the cake which looks awesome!

Ty (aka Meccabell) said...

OMG, that cake is adorable!!!! I want it so bad. That salad looks good too. Such an awesome movie Monday.

Amanda said...

There is too much cuteness in this post- right down to the table setting. Gah!

Anonymous said...

the cake, holy crap, the cake! I think I love you, Mo.

Jenny said...

I love Mandy Moore!!! I always say she's one of my choices in the "who would play you in a movie?" game. (I'm stepping myself way up here.) That cake is so fun; I've stared at it for the past couple of minutes trying to figure it out. And I want to make those cheeze crisps.

jessy said...

Mo, for real?!? the cake is ridiculously awesome and absolutely brilliant! i love it so super much! also awesome, Mandy Moore Mondays. sure, i've never been the biggest fan of Mandy Moore, but who's to say a girl can't change her mind?! w00t!

Luciana said...

That cake! So freaking cute!

Yes, Gabrielle Macht is the only reason I watched Suits. Why does he have to be so fiiiiine?

Veganosaurus said...

Oh my!! That cake looks so yummy, Mo!!

VeganLisa said...

Wow! I'm so impressed. What an amazing spread. I love the cake and all the film-inspired names.

Erin said...

The cake is super awesome...but it's also kind of grossing me out, in an awesome way. Nicely done!

Sarah said...

That is AMAZING. Livi loves pasta and her birthday is Wed - maybe I'll make that . . .