Monday, November 29, 2010

VeganMoFo IV: Where We're Going, We Don't Need Roads


Today I decided to go with dinner and a movie.  Technically, it was lunch and a movie.  I'm a huge fan of Back to the Future.  This year is the 25th anniversary so I've heard a lot about it recently.  I decided to bust out my trilogy and watch the first two.  The third is my least favorite.  Just not interested when a franchise decides to go to the old west.

The menu today was based on diner food.  I went with burgers and fries, but tried to do the "futuristic" twist. And because I'm trying to eat better after Thanksgiving, I decided against a milkshake like I originally wanted.  Onto the good stuff.  Welcome to Doc Brown's DeLorean Cafe!


Flux Capacitor Menu
Biff's Beefy Bacon Burgers
Sweet-On-Your-Son Sweet Potato Fries
Sugar Free Cup of Faux Joe

The burger patty is the Beefy Bacon Burger from 500 Vegan Recipes.  I also made hamburger buns, but they looked so horrible I actually made another burger on sourdough just to photograph.  Haha.  I still have not mastered making homemade buns.  The fixins on the burger: cheddar Daiya, mustard, pickles, tomato, and red leaf lettuce.  Served on sourdough.

The fries are sweet potato oven fries.  I seasoned them with Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning and baked at 375 for 20ish minutes.

The "cup of joe" is black English breakfast.  I'm not the hugest fan of coffee, and tea takes way less time to make.


This was a perfect meal to laugh at how the 80s perceived the 2000s.  They did get the whole 80s nostalgia thing right, though.  But I'm still waiting on a flying car.  Or at least a damn hoverboard.  I mean, c'mon!  McFly had sneaks that laced themselves and that movie came out over 20 years ago!

17 comments:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

shut up! shut up! I really, really want to come over.

Andrea said...

I love Back to the Future! And I'm loving your flux capacitor menu, haha. It's cute (and looks really good).

Andrea said...

Sweet on your son fries! HA! That's too much. :D I don't know how many times I've seen BTTF, but not often enough, I'm sure. And never accompanied by such appropriate diner food.

dreaminitvegan said...

What...no flying car?! Ahhh just kidding.

I love burgers on sourdough or rye bread. I'm really lovin' your dinner themed meals. I've been wanting to rent Back to the Future for my son to watch.

Zoa said...

Oh my god, I'm old. I saw BTTF in the theatre when it first came out, and thought Power of Love was the greatest song *ever* (yes, okay, I still listen to it, and after about 10,000 times in the gym I know all the words, too). Your burger looks awesome, as do the fries...I'll be sorry when VeganMoFo is over for the sake of your blog alone; I don't think I've enjoyed anyone's blog as much this month as yours.

Rose said...

Sounds like good futuristic movie fare! Very creative. Looks great too! Too bad the buns went wobbley; I'm sure they taste great though...maybe you should have went with them and called them anti-gravity buns or something! :D But seriously, can't go wrong with sourdough in my book.

Jen said...

now all you need is a delorian. or a skateboard, but i prefer cars.

Amey said...

ha ha. I am also not interested when a franchise goes to the wild west. How did that ever make it past the drawing board??

era said...

the pictures are great, but the taste was even better! i feel spoiled right now.

panda with cookie said...

I want hoverfries. Straight to my mouth.

MeloMeals said...

I can't believe that was 20 years ago.

I love burgers on bread!

A tip I have for buns because I am super lazy.. Make a thick focaccia and score it into 12 equal pieces Bake and cut. They are square shaped, but so much less work than regular buns!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Melody, I love that tip!

aryn said...

Amazing. I wanna have a BTTF party at your house!

Elisabeth said...

I love Back to the Future! Me and my husband watched the trilogy few weeks ago again.

Anonymous said...

I raise a glass to your theme menus. I can only manage to plan one big dish--don't know how you plan a bunch and give them great names!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

THIS IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE! (Possibly because I'm such a huge Back-To-The-Future fan!!)

Claire said...

I love this post so much!
I loved that film and had the BIGGEST crush on MJF!
I'd love a hoverboard