Tuesday, November 23, 2010

VeganMoFo IV: Preparation Thanks


I am seriously burned out right now.  I haven't finished editing the show yet, so that's coming tomorrow.  Sorry for the lack of commenting lately.  I promise I'm going to catch up with blogs super soon.  I have Thanksgiving on the brain and I won't be thinking of anything else until I am chewing on some pumpkin cheesecake on Thursday.  So, this post is really about the prep work I'm doing. Since I'm a fan of lists, this will be in listy format.

Monday
thaw vegan turkey
chop vegetables and bread
make Viva Vegan chorizo

vegetables/bread for stuffing, onions for collards and onions/poblano for maque choux
Tuesday
marinate vegan turkey
make 4 cups vegetable broth
bake sweet potatoes
bake cornbread for stuffing

the marinade is Jess' method: sparkling cider, garlic, rosemary, and I added tamari
Wednesday
cook greens
prep mac n cheese, stuffing, and sweet potatoes up to baking point
make maque choux
prep deviled tofu
make desserts (apple bundt and pumpkin cheesecake)
make cranberry sauce
prep gravy

Thursday
make rolls
cook vegan turkey
bake sweet potatoes, mac n cheese, and stuffing
make mashed potatoes and gravy
eat and fight "the -itis"

I'm sorta surprised I've kept on track.  I usually have the best intentions but end up cooking for 5 hours on the actual day.  This is going to be one speedy Thanksgiving!

How are your Thanksgiving plans coming along?

17 comments:

MeloMeals said...

I'm so glad I've been prepping/freezing stuff for our feast too. Much better that way!

KitteeBee said...

i bought shallots today! that's about it. and i figured out what i'm gonna make tomorrow.

xo
kittee

panda with cookie said...

Dang! I bought my bag of stuffing mix and plan to cook it on Thursday. I will also make gravy then. I pulled the chickpeas out of the freezer to defrost tonight.
That is all.

Pavani said...

We are going to have a quiet Thanksgiving with just the two (and half) of us. I'm still thinking on how to make it "special". Good luck with your big dinner. Everything sounds so good. I'll think of your dishes when eating mine. Have fun.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Melody-It is so much better. I remember the first time I saw my mom doing that and I was kicking myself for never doing it before!

Kittee-Yay! I can't wait to see what you make!

Panda-I think those stuffins will be amazing!

sgcorrie said...

Don't laugh at me too hard, but I didn't even think of prepping stuff in days before the feasting. I am totally taking this route!

Lauren said...

Holy crow! I have some things I'm going to use in a bag in my kitchen? I'm not much for "planning" and "preparing". I much prefer "freaking out" and "crying".

Amanda J said...

Wow! I'm impressed with your organization and plans. You're gonna have one heck of a Thanksgiving!

Meanwhile, I have drawn a perfect BLANK when it comes to what potluck dish to bring on Thursday. I need something cheap and easy, since I'm cooking with limited utensils and funds. Blargh -- I'll figure it out soon enough... I hope.

Elisabeth said...

OMG! Your Turkey has legs! That is much freakier than my boring Tofurky :-)

GiGi said...

I like lists and my lists like lists, and flow charts. And I find those baggies very impressive.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Elisabeth-I know! The boy was just hell bent on getting it because it looked like a real one. Haha.

Fanny said...

I love being organized. I will do it for Christmas. I'm sure you're food will be great after this!

Jen Treehugger said...

You are the prep queen - seriously. I'm so doing this for Christmas dinner.

Veg-In-Training said...

I'm so impressed. You are so organized. Thankfully I don't have to cook for the family until Saturday, so I have time to get it together.

Ty (aka Meccabell) said...

You are my hero. I have contemplated making rolls and thought very hard about the protein I will make for myself to take to my family's meat festival. Eventually I will get these thoughts out of my head and into action, that is all. Yes, I know it is Wednesday.

Seglare said...

You sound so organized - and based on the things you're making, it seems like you're going to have a wonderful dinner. :)

Good luck with all your preparations, and happy Thanksgiving! I can't wait to read all about it.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

so freaking exciting, mo!

and don't worry, I'm on my way.