Saturday, November 27, 2010

VeganMoFo IV: It's Survey...It's Survey Time

I held out as long as I could to do the survey.  I am so lazy today that I couldn't be bothered to shower or get dressed for the day.  I'm okay with that.  Thanksgiving totally killed me.  I am done eating leftovers as they are and already transformed some into Shepherd's pie.  Tomorrow, I'm gonna use the sweet potatoes for muffins and bread or something.  I'll probably freeze it for quick breakfasts.  I haven't the slightest idea what to do with the stuffing.


What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?
Shrimp.  I loved shrimp as an omni.  It's not a killer craving like it used to be.  I don't even crave vegan shrimp. 

What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?
Avocado.  Sauerkraut.  Cilantro 

What vegan dish or food you feel like you “should” like, but don’t?
Most mac and cheese recipes.  Out of all of them, there are only about three that I really like.
What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?
99% of the time, we only ever have water and almond milk.  I use almond milk for baking/cooking mostly.  So water.  Some days I'll drink a lot of tea: English breakfast, Irish breakfast, and Darjeeling are my faves. 

What dish are you “famous” for making or bringing to gatherings?
I haven't been to a gathering in a long time.  I usually either brought cupcakes or oreo truffles.

Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?
Not really.  The only thing I can think of is: I HATE RAW CABBAGE.  HATE.  If it's not cooked, I won't eat it.  Also , I have made my stance known on candied sweet potatoes.  Lastly, I do have rules when making sandwiches.  Example: If mustard and mayo are on a sandwich, the mustard touches the cheese and mayo touches tomato.  And when I made my leftover sammie, the cranberry sauce touched the stuffing and dijon mustard touched the vegan turkey.  So...yes.  Yes, I do!

What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?
Sweets.  Things with chocolate in them, though not actual chocolate.  Chocolate bars last forever in my house, but choc chip cookies?  Not so much. 

What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?
Seitan and sausages.  Also, I often make my own vegan cheese.  I am completely against buying vegan junk food that I can make myself (cookies, cakes, etc).  The only exception is bakery goods. 

What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get “the good stuff”?
Earth Balance.  Almond Breeze.  Vanilla. 

Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?
Definite snacker.  Protein smoothies, green smoothies, sweets, bananas, apples, toast w/ almond butter and dates. 

What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?
Mushroom, pineapple, olive. 

What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?
Favorite vegetable is probably collards.  Favorite fruit is a tie between watermelon and Ataulfo mango. 

What is the best salad dressing?
Trader Joe's goddess dressing is like liquid crack.
What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?
Baked beans.  Almond butter and smooshed dates.  EB and jam.

What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?
I make a soup with as much garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper as I can stand then add veggies and gluten free pasta. 

What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?
It's the margarita cupcakes from VCTOTW.

What is your favorite kind of cookie?
Gingerbread biscotti from VCIYCJ. 

What is your most-loved “weeknight meal”?
Pasta w/ Esme's sauce and added broccoli or spinach. 

What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?
Raisins.  Sweet lord.  Era hates raisins and anything raisin-like.  As he gets older more things get added to the list.  He hates raw cucumber, raw celery, and cherry tomatoes as well. 

How long, in total, do you spend in the kitchen on an average day?
I dunno.  Maybe an hour on a usual day?


That's all for now.  Tomorrow I should have some video on my favorite and least favorite kitchen stuff.

8 comments:

x said...

I enjoyed your answers! Chris' list of dislikes continues to grow as well!

And I like different sauces on the top and bottom of burgers/sandwiches too!

celyn said...

Yeah, this was totally fun to read! I've been holding off on doing the survey too, but now I might cave!

Jackie Smith said...

So, tell us more about these oreo truffles...would they make good Christmas gifts?

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Jackie-They make great Christmas gives. I gave them to all my friends one year and they were a hit!

http://mobettavegan.blogspot.com/2009/10/vegan-mofo-iii-i-got-yer-balls-right.html

Ty (aka Meccabell) said...

This is a really cool concept, as a first time (and not quite disciplined) MoFo-er, I don't know about this survey, but I think I will try it out as a post today or tomorrow, I hope it's okay to use your questions, or is there a place, I should look for a survey?

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Ty, this is just the survey that's been floating around so you can totally use these questions! :)

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

Your sandwich rule; the one about what mustard and mayo can touch...yeah I thought I was the only person who had a rule like that. LOL.
I won the Uncheese Cookbook last week; and you and I have similar food tastes; so what's your favorite cheeze in there?

aryn said...

OMG NO WAY WE ARE PIZZA TWINS!!