Saturday, November 6, 2010

VeganMoFo IV: Dollar Store Vegan



Alternate titles: Oooooone Dollaaaaaaar and Constanza Has Nothing on Me.

So, the only thing I love better than being vegan is finding super awesome cheap vegan deals.  DEALS, people!  MrsBadMouth did a marvelous blog on how to be a thrifty vegan earlier this week and she pretty much touched up on everything I'd ever say on the subject.  It got me really inspired to do something that most vegans would never think about doing: head to the dollar store.

Okay.  I first fell in love with the dollar store during the holidays.  I make gift baskets like a mothatrucka, and it is so much cheaper to drop a buck on baskets, cellophane, and ribbons than to buy a pre-made basket.  A little bit of money and a decent amount of time really makes for a happy and cheap holiday season.  Plus, a store like Dollar Tree or 99 Cents Only makes for decent holiday decor, a starting place for crafting, and cheap, non descript mugs.  You just have to know what to shop for and make sure to inspect the quality before leaving the store.

Also, discount stores are like a secret vegan playground.  When you get to reading ingredients, you find A LOT of vegan things.  Healthy and decadent.  Organic and filled with disgustingly awesome things.  I love discount stores.  Part of me doesn't want anybody to know about these deals, but since none of y'all live near me...it's cool.  Muahahahaha.  Here's what I scooped up last night (everything except for the Amy's soups which were on clearance at Ralph's)...

clockwise from middle: Westsoy low fat soymilk, Amy's soup, syrup pourer, organic pinto beans, creminis, pizza crust, dish towel, more creminis, more Amy's soup, big bag of Mexican oregano, organic black beans, and organic kidney beans
oregano
I usually get packs of Mexican oregano for 67 cents.  This bag was more than three times the amount I usually buy and only a dollar.  Cool beans.  Speaking of beans, we were stoked to see organic beans there.  Also found some other things I didn't feel like purchasing, but I managed to sneak a few pics inside the store on my crappy camera phone.

Mrs. Freshley's cookies
Mrs. Freshley's does have accidentally vegan treats (confirmed by email).  They definitely aren't healthy.  And they aren't some awesomely tasty treat.  But they are $1.

sugar in the raw
Other cool things I've found at 99 Cents Only: Earth Balance (buttery sticks and shortening), coconut cream, Switch carbonated fruit juice, Snackimals (large bag), and Boca products (chili and spicy chikn patties).  My sister recently found Tofu Pups and soyrizo.

Another cool place is Big Lots.  I love their cereal selection.  I think all the boxes are $2.50 at most.  Also found half gallon shelf stable Almond Breeze for $2.50!

The point is you can be vegan and find great deals even at the dollar store.  My advice?  Go on a little journey to your neighborhood dollar store.  Browse the grocery and refrigerated section and see what is vegan.  I'm certain you'll be surprised.

Happy Saturday, everybody!

19 comments:

Katie said...

I'm all inspired to check out my local dollar stores now! I don't think I've ever encountered one that sells fresh vegetables, though! :O That means I have to keep looking, right...

Christie said...

Sadly no treasures like these in the pound shops over here :( Good to hear that vegans in other countries can find such wonderful bargains.

Leigh said...

Holy moly! You have a treasure trove of cheap stuff! I know I've checked my Big Lots freezer section before and only found family sized bags of chicken legs or some such. Must dig deeper.

John McDevitt said...

Amys soup!

aryn said...

You are the master of finding a deal!!

Jackie Smith said...

Do you have a Grocery Outlet near you? They're my favorite place to score cheap vegan deals. The one near me often has Amy's roasted veg pizza for $3.99/each!

River said...

Whooooa! Check out that loot! Our local dollar store has nothing but a bunch of mothatruckin' nothing! :P

I can't believe you've found Earth Balance at the dollar store! Now I'm jealous.

dreaminitvegan said...

These are some awesome finds! I can't believe you scored some Earth Balance Shortening Sticks for
99cents, that's crazy!

jessy said...

such an awesome idea, Mo! i never thought to check out the dollar stores - i didn't even know some of them had refrigerated sections. man, that is so sweet! there's a "fresh to frozen" near us that i am kicking myself for not checking out yet - you've inspired me and i'm gonna make a trip sometime this week and see what they've got go'n on. i'm so jealous you've found eb and boca yummies for just 99 cents. w00t!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Fun! Here we have the 99p store where you can get raspberry ruffles which are awesome raspberry coconut chocolates.

panda with cookie said...

Girrrrl, you know how I feel about cheap food at rock bottom prices.

Andrea said...

I had no idea you could find stuff like that in a dollar store. I've never seen stuff like that at ours.

K said...

Wow wish we had something like this in Australia.

Thanks for the comments on our blog, it means I get to discover another new vegan blog!

Anonymous said...

Ha! This made me cheese so hard because I am such a discount store fiend. I totally laughed at the cookies because I have had that precise dialogue in my head-- "These are so not good for me. But they are vegan and they are a dollar. That warrants purchase. This cannot go unappreciated."

kelly g. said...

Day-um! Sugar in the Raw for 99 cents, what a steal!

I also lovelovelove the Dollar Store for x-mas shopping. I make my own decorations out of sparkly pipe cleaners, poms poms, decorative balls and pasta. (Flying spaghetti monster theme, y'all!) Way cheaper than buying generic ceramic and plastic junk from the box stores.

x said...

Awesome score, Mo! I love the pourer (now I NEED one) and the Mexican oregano, woo!

Our two dollar shops here are great for crafty items but not for vegan items. We do have Aldi and lots of their products are ninja-vegan!

Ty (aka Meccabell) said...

I have heard of these wonderful 99c stores. We have Dollar Trees here, they are cool, but vegan finds aren't the usual. I will look much closer now. Long live dollar stores.

Christina said...

That EB was a real find!

For a while, a few years ago, each time we went to Big Lots, we found Organic Frosted Mini Wheats, which were totally vegan, even though the conventional kind isn't. It was glorious, glorious time for us. They also had Method products a lot.

Walgreens has some cookies chocolate chip cookies in both crunchy and chewy styles, that appear to be vegan, and the package is only $2.

Leigh, there are Big Lots stores that have refrigerator and freezer sections??

Amanda J said...

I've always been able to find vegan goodies at Big Lots. I never would have guessed those Freshley's cookies would be vegan.