Sunday, November 21, 2010

VeganMoFo IV: Free Dates and Cookbook Lovin'


Yesterday we did our big Thanksgiving shopping.  The stores weren't nearly as packed as I expected.  I'm glad that we got it out of the way, though.  I'm super stoked, and the menu is finalized.  In fact, I think I'll start the prep work today so I don't have to chop onions all day Wednesday.  I'm determined to NOT follow my family's tradition of eating at 7PM this year.  We always aim for noon, but never actually make it.

On to the title of this post...  Era scored some free dates!  He always gets really good free stuff, which is one of the cool things about living in farm land.Fresh dates are juicy and not that dried out garbage you get on the grocery shelf.  If ever you visit SoCal, make sure to come here because this place will rock your date loving world!

5 lbs of dates....for free!

This week is pretty much going to be non stop video and super quick posts.  I'm currently editing another episode of the show.  Hoping to get it up tomorrow!  For now, this is the last of the Top 5 that I taped two weeks ago.  I'm going to tape the two suggestions I got tomorrow.  Here I am geeking out over my most used  cookbooks (I really love tres leches...ha ha).



Links to everything:
5. 500 Vegan Recipes-By Celine Steen and Joni Marie Newman
4. Vegan Brunch-By Isa Chandra Moskowitz
3. Vegan with a Vengeance-By Isa Chandra Moskowitz
2. Veganomicon-By Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
1. Viva Vegan-By Terry Hope Romero

13 comments:

Andrea said...

I love dates so much — I'd be in heaven with 5 pounds of free ones.

Amanda J said...

Dang! 5 pounds of dates for free?! That's impressive.

Argh -- I need to get my hands on a copy of Viva Vegan!

MeloMeals said...

I need to get my hands on Viva Vegan!

I was so happy when I got Vegan with a Vengeance.. I felt like finally, there was someone who cooked like I like to cook and the recipes are so accessible and yummy.

Ty (aka Meccabell) said...

I am such a Mo fan. . .ah, but aside from that mushy stuff, I just really love your blog style. I have never had a date, I don't think, will try one, I promise. . .I do. On the books, I totally agree on 4 through 2, they are wonderful, I just got VB so I can't wait, but even before the recipes, I love the commentary and wittiness (is that a word?), but I am looking forward wearing the book out. I will try out some of your fav recipes. I don't have the others but I am really contemplating Viva la Vegan now.

Zoa said...

Wow, free Medjool dates--that box would cost, like, $40 where I come from, but be totally worth every cent. These are the best...dates...ever...I rejoice vicariously in yours and Era's good fortune.

Amey said...

I LOVE your videos. You are such a super star. I am a MoFan.

I totally agree with you: the cinnamon is not optional, and also the reuben is what made me like sauerkraut too.

On the other hand, I don't think I've made ANY of the Vcon recipes you mentioned. This must be remedied!!

You're stoked on the dates. I have only two left. I use them to sweeten my smoothies. Mmmm!

Seglare said...

So jealous (in a good way, of course) of your dates! They are are super expensive here, and never fresh.

I only have Veganomicon out of the cookbooks you presented, but I do wish I had them all. Now I'm obviously hoping I'll win today's giveaway for Viva Vegan on one of the MoFo blogs..! ;)

jessy said...

5 lbs of free dates?!? jealousface. that's awesome, Mo! also awesome - getting your thanksgiving shopping completed. nice! i'm going today after work - i hope it's not bananas! my posts are gonna be quick this week as well. it's a busy week full of yumminess and i can't wait to see everyone's thanksgiving spread! w00t!

Veg-In-Training said...

Tawk amongst yourselves. You are adorable.

Teddyplanet said...

Oh. my. god. A 5 pound box of dates!? There would be soooo many almond butter and date sandwiches in my future if I had that.

You're so adorable in your videos, it's impossible not to watch! Great recommendations, really gets me excited that I have all these books on hand ('cept for Viva Vegan! I could get it for Christmas...). I love your videos (and subscribed to you on YouTube! Woohoo!).

aryn said...

Yay medjools! How awesome is that? I miss fresh CA dates. Love your video and book selections!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Teddyplanet-I luuurve almond butter on toast with smooshed dates. SO good.

Epicurean Vegan said...

Those are all great cookbooks! I'm going to have to get the Vegan Brunch one for sure. One of my favorite cookbooks is The Vegan Table. Thanks for sharing!