Friday, November 19, 2010

VeganMoFo IV: Pancake or Death?


Breakfast is my absolute favorite meal of the day.  No hesitation in that statement.  In fact, I would like to campaign to make breakfast foods a part of every meal.

In the beginning of my veganism I never really knew what to eat for breakfast.  I didn't know anything about tofu scrambles and my first pancake ventures ended horribly.  So I decided to take pictures of what I ate for breakfast this week.

Often times it's just a smoothie or maybe some oatmeal.  Sometimes, I'll just eat leftovers from dinner.  As witnessed here:

eggplant rollatini and kale salad

With VeganMoFo going on, I've had to eat leftovers for breakfast or freeze a lot of stuff.  It's much harder to cook new things everyday than I thought!  Ha ha.  Here are some leftovers from last week's Iron Chef challenge.  The bowl looks deceptively big.  It's only 1/2 cup and the plate behind is a tiny appetizer plate.

quinoa caviar and eggnog quinoa & tapioca pudding

Some days I'll crave something super sugary for breakfast: cinnamon rolls, cake, fritters.  Other days I only want a green smoothie or juice of some kind.  I love juicing carrots because they almost get a creamy texture.

carrot, apple, celery, kale, parsley juice

Yesterday I woke up and wanted an epic breakfast, so I had a full English (a first for me)!  It was seriously delicious, though I'm making my own sausage next time.

sausage, baked beans, creminis, sourdough toast, scramble, potatoes, fresh tomato, and English breakfast tea

Last night we went out with a friend to see a deejay in Palm Springs.  I guess staying out as late as we did got to me because I woke up with a sore throat.  I opted for tea and cream of rice this morning.  Cream of rice is my absolute favorite!  I eat it with a bit of cashew butter and brown sugar.  I just noticed that my health food store sells cream of brown rice, so I'll have to try that next time.

horrible picture, but I assure it's delish...served with English breakfast tea

Other breakfast regulars for me are: pancakes, cereal and yogurt, toast with Earth Balance and jam, breakfast tacos, fruit and yogurt, muffins, smoothie made with frozen fruit and pea protein, and Barnard's brown rice breakfast (from How It All Vegan).

What's your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?

18 comments:

MeloMeals said...

I love me some green smoothies, oatmeal and especially leftover soup!

Cream of brown rice. yum... I wonder if I grind my brown rice into a flour in my vitamix if it would cook up like cream of rice? I used to love malt o meal when I was a kid.

John McDevitt said...

I'm coming over for breakfast!

vegan.in.brighton said...

I'm a huge fan of breakfast too & that full English looks just perfect.

Heidi said...

My current fav is oatmeal with blueberries and a sprinkling of broken up pecans. I'm hankerin' for some pancakes lately though!

LJ said...

LOL, Mo, I love breakfast too! My favorite meal is actually Brinner, Breakfast for Dinner!

xoxo,
LJ

Rose said...

Oh I love cooked breakfasts, and I usually end up eating leftovers for breakfast too.

Those rolatinis are making me hungry.

Anonymous said...

I'm a smoothie gal myself. My current favorite is using frozen canned punpkin instead of the usual summer frozen fruits. Usually when it starts getting chilly though I bring out the rice cooker for hot cereal in the morning. The cream of brown rice sounds good, have to look for that.

Jes said...

BAHAHA! Eddie Izzard, love it :D

No, seriously, that food looks so good! I need to get a juicer...

panda with cookie said...

I'll choose pancake please.

VeganKitchenDiaries said...

Haha, big thumbs up for dinner for breakfast.

If I did a post like this it'd be pretty boring cos I eat porrige 6 mornings out of seven. Although... apple cinnamon porrige, pumpkin porrige with mixed spice, chocolate chip sunflower seed porrige, peanut butter porrige... Hm.... You may be on to something!

Seglare said...

I'm amazed at your variety of breakfasts! :)

My breakfasts are nothing nearly as impressive: I mostly eat whole grain cereal, yoghurt, and/or mysli with fresh berries or fruit. If I want something non-sweet, it's usually a roll or rye bread with some vegan margarine, cucumber, tomato, and bell pepper. I also eat a fair amount of oatmeal and other types of porridge, but that's mostly when someone cooks it for me. I also wouldn't mind eating pancakes or waffles every morning, but am usually too hungry too make them! ;)

Jen Treehugger said...

An English fry is the best ever - yours looks sooo sooo good.

Anonymous said...

Everything looks soo delicious. And I love tapioca pudding. My favourite breakfast is porridge sweetened with maple syrup, though.

x said...

Your breakfast look so varied and delicious! I eat gluten free muesli with rice milk and a banana every single day!

I do like the look of that cream of rice, I'll have to figure out how to make some!

Anonymous said...

Ah! I love breakfast too-- I even wrote a whole post about pancakes once. I've been meaning to put together a full English breakfast. It's still something I haven't tried and yours is super motivating.

Ty (aka Meccabell) said...

I skip breakfast often because as a newer vegan (as in just early this year) I have a hard time finding something quick. I love your pictures and your ideas here, especially about just leftovers.

aryn said...

this post title is epic!

Anonymous said...

what what a varied breakfast spread...i honestly went like she eats kale for breakfast?????
i mean it is so hard for me to incorporate veg in breakfast because my digestive juices at on a break but really I need to start eating more veg in the morning, Wow that biggie platter with the baked beans are something
wow..
kudos u are in veg news