Thursday, October 4, 2012

VeganMoFo VI: Twofer Thursday!

Can you believe it?  We're only four days in and I already missed an entry.  Mondays and Wednesdays are my long, 16-hour days.  I just didn't plan that well.  To make up for it, I'm gonna bombard you with two blogs today.

First up, a very simple salad.  One thing people tend to forget about cheap eating is that produce is pretty economical.  The amount you can buy for the same amount of pre-made food is astounding.  I am always amazed at what $20 of fresh fruits and veggies looks like compared to $20 worth of frozen dinners.

just a little romaine, cuke, tomato, and avocado
What I Had:
Trader Joe's goddess dressing

What I Bought (price based on amount used):
romaine lettuce-$0.40
tomato-$0.36
cucumber-$0.24
avocado-$0.25

TOTAL MEAL COST: $1.25!

Honestly, the real star of the show was the reed avocado I used.  We sell them at my job right now and they were on special last month.  I paid 99 cents for an avocado the size of a softball!  I never realized there were different types of avocado before moving to California.  What I can tell you is that reeds are huge and silky smooth.  Those bad boys are straight buttery and perfectly sliceable.  The best avocados that I've ever tried. You'll never go back to haas.  Check it:

one sexy mofo
Pardon me for not wiping the salad guts off my cutting board before photographing that there creator of mouthgasms.  I got too excited!  Reeds are the best!  THE BEST!  There really is nothing more to say.

3 comments:

coldandsleepy said...

Before I moved to California, I for serious did not know there was more than 1 kind of avocado. Then I came here and everyone's like, would you like some avocado on that? Like, on my waffles, dude? Ok whatever, you guys know best. Reeds are good.

Kelly said...

Why have I always heard that Reed's are awful?? I have been sabotaged!

Sarah said...

Kelly, me too! So these Reed ones are the big shiny smooth ones?