Sunday, October 7, 2012

VeganMoFo VI: Lazy Taco Night


Howdy folks!  Today is gonna be a three post day so that I can play catch up.  This here is the last of my budget-friendly exploits.  Friday was one of those soul-draining days at work, so I wanted something very simple.  I had planned for a nice taco night, but by the time it got around, I could not even open a can of beans and make some rice.  I was so tired.

I will tell you that if you want to have some banging tacos and expend about zero in energy points, then get thee to a Trader Joe's and spend $0.79 on their taco seasoning packet!  It is spicy and delicious.  It works perfectly with unseasoned tvp or whatever unseasoned protein you want to throw in there.

salad with a side of taco
What I Had:
tvp
Trader Joe's goddess dressing

What I Bought (prices based on amount used):
taco seasoning-$0.26
taco shells-$0.33
lettuce-$0.20
tomatoes-$0.18
avocado-$0.25

TOTAL MEAL COST: $1.22!

Now, for the final shopping list tally.  I haven't really been keeping track, so this is the entire shopping list I compiled before MoFo started with the prices I paid.  So, this final total is based on the amount purchased, not the amount used.

ramen-$0.20
organic cabbage-$1.18
organic cornmenal-$0.32
romaine-$1.58
tomatoes-$1.25
cucumber-$0.48
pasta-$0.39
organic kale-$2.11
taco seasoning-$0.79
taco shells-$1.99
tofu-$0.98
cilantro-$0.79
limes-$0.66
ginger-$0.17
yogurt-$1.19
almond milk-free
organic parsley-$1.52
organic carrot-$0.26
avocado-$0.99

TOTAL SHOPPING COSTS: 16.85 or 2.81 a day!

Slightly over budget, but I still have a ton of produce and food left over.  I done good!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooooh taco night...how do i love thee...let me count the ways:)

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks like a great cheap 'n lazy meal.

Sarah said...

tacos are always a winner! you are very patient to figure out costs that way - oy! i'd love to but i'm too lazy :D

GiGi said...

$1.22 woo hoo! I can eat dinner tonight :)