Thursday, October 4, 2012

VeganMoFo VI: Darn Tootin'


The best way to eat on a budget is to think of ingredients that serve a double purpose.  For instance, I bought a head of cabbage knowing full well that I'd use half for one meal and the other for...haluski!

I first got into haluski when I saw Guy Fieri talking about it on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.  It looked super easy and pretty good.  You can see my original recipe-ish thing here.  However, haluski is so damn simple that you really don't need a recipe.  Just follow these steps.

1. Boil some pasta.  Drain.  Set aside.
2. Add oil to a skillet.
3. Add onions, garlic, vegan bacon*, cabbage, and kale.
4. Add a small bit of water or broth to steam and soften the cabbage.
5. Mix in pasta until heated through.  Add salt and pepper.

there is waaay more cabbage than this picture reveals
What I Had:
Tofurky sausages
hickory liquid smoke
soy sauce
red onion
garlic

What I Bought (price based on amount used):
pasta-$0.39 (bulk bin, baby!)
cabbage-$0.59
kale-$1.06

TOTAL MEAL PRICE (Serves 4): $2.04 or $0.51 each!

*I never actually use store bought vegan bacon.  I usually flavor seitan with a little soy and liquid smoke.  I also highly recommend the bacon crumbles from 500 Vegan Recipes.

Also, kale is not really traditional in haluski.  I like the added punch of color.  Plus, having an orgy of cruciferous vegetables really makes this a bowl of farts.  So, so vegan.

7 comments:

KitteeBee said...

I envy your foresight. I can never shop like this, and then I never have what I need to make anything and have to run to the store. It sucks. Also give it up for cabbage love. So good.

xo
kittee

coldandsleepy said...

Ha ha ha ha ha... I'm glad you said it, 'cuz as soon as I saw cabbage AN kale in the ingredients I was like omg, fartapalooza.

Looks tasty though!

x said...

I laughed out loud at your final couple of sentences, Mo!!

This looks like a really good cheap eat and I am always throwing out cabbage because I never know what to do with it.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Haha fart bowl! I'm super jealous of the bulk bins in the USA, I spent about half an hour wandering around the ones in WF in Austin wishing we had them here!

Kelly said...

I'm loving all these thrifty recipes! I've never heard of Haluski before but I know that I want it now.

Lizzie Bordello said...

I love cabbage, and am always looking for new ways to use it. Bookmarking this one, yep.

Erin said...

I've never had haluski, but it sounds really easy and delicious! I agree with the idea of adding kale - crucifer on crucifer action.