Wednesday, October 17, 2012

VeganMoFo VI: Bleeding Hearts Valentine


Ah, Valentine's.  Roses.  Chocolates.  Jewelry.  All the things that make me puke.  I know I sound bitter, but I was never into that stuff even when I was in a relationship.  Haha.  I just find actual mental connection with a person more romantic than a card and some candy hearts.  So, this is the V-day I always wanted to throw with my friends but never got around to it.

BLEEDING HEARTS MENU
Vegetables w/ Sanctuary Dip
Pickled Beet Tofu w/ Dill and Seaweed Caviar
Scarlet Barley and 40 Clove Chickpeas and Broccoli from Appetite for Reduction

Decorations
Pink and Black Balloons, Broken Hearts

Movies
My Bloody Valentine, War of the Roses, Black Sheep

Soundtrack
Since You've Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson, Irreplaceable by Beyonce, Not About Love by Fiona Apple

we got the beet, we got the beet, we got the beet
For the tofu, I just did this basic thing.  But I marinated the tofu (in four chunks) in pickled beet juice.  Then, I sliced it up.  I was lazy and have come to realize that boiling the tofu in salted water does pretty much jack...so I just sprinkled both sides liberally with black salt.  I also used fresh dill.  It was pretty good!  And it looked all fancy!

5 comments:

KitteeBee said...

so pretty! that tofu'd be eye ball sticking out awesome in sushi!

xo
kittee

James said...

Hi,
Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Veganism Community? Our members will appreciate it.
Members include: Vegans, Veganism Experts, Vegan Lifestyle Advocates, Vegan Cooking, etc.
It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Articles, News, Photos and Videos if you like.
Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
Please feel free to share as often as you like.
The Veganism Community: http://www.vorts.com/veganism/
I hope you consider sharing with us.
Thank you,
James Kaufman, Editor

urban vegan said...

This is so inventive, Mo! Love the colors and textures.

omgoshimvegan said...

Love the ideas! I know so many people who aren't big fans of valentines day and feel that's it's a greeting card holiday.

x said...

I love the sounds of your menu and those tofu squares look amazing :)