Monday, October 12, 2009

Vegan MoFo III: Beatrix Are For Kids

Well, it's Monday.  Not just any Monday, but Movie Monday!  Since it's budget week, I really wanted to take it even further.  With the exception of three ingredients, this was a pantry raid!  Cue the flashing lights and pounding bass...and let's get this party started!  We don't need no water let the mothatrucka burn...
Today I watched a big movie and made a meal big on taste.  Just because this week is all about budgeting doesn't mean I can't have a fantastic experience.  The movie of the evening is a little known film called Kill Bill Vol 1.  I love this movie so hard!  One of my top ten favorite movies.  It's hilarious, has that Tarantino charm, and is so visually stimulating that you'll totally forget about the money crunch.
Kill Bill Vol 1 "PartyWagon" Menu
Black Mamba Lasagna Roll Ups
Vernita's Green Salad w/ Agave Mustard Dressing
Deadly Viper Assassination Punch


The lasagna roll ups were filled with cashew ricotta and a mushroom-onion layer flavored with fennel seed, sage, thyme, red paper flakes, and garlic.  Then they were covered in a creamy pumpkin sauce and topped with black olive tapenade.  The only things I had to buy were 4 lasagna noodles (bulk section, like what?) and 1 portobello mushroom.  Seriously, there is no shame in purchasing exactly what you need.
I didn't have to buy anything for the salad.  It was just green leaf lettuce, granny smith apple, pecans, and agave mustard dressing.
The punch is an adapted version of a Dark N Extra Stormy.  All I had to do was buy the gingerale and drink the thing!
Price Breakdown*
Black Mamba Lasagna Rollups-$2.08
  • lasagna noodles-$0.30
  • mushroom-$1.78
Vernita's Green Salad w/ Agave Mustard Dressing-FREE!!!

Deadly Viper Assassination Punch-$0.89
  • gingerale-$0.89
Total spent on dinner and a movie-$2.97 or $1.49 per person (if it's 2, but this could totally feed 4).


Deadly Viper Assassination Punch
(makes 1 drink)
5 slices fresh ginger
½ a lime, quartered
1 oz. simple syrup (I just do agave to taste)
El Yucateco green chili habanero sauce (use a small amount for heat or leave it out)
1.5 oz. vodka
Gingerale
In a pint glass, muddle the ginger, lime, simple syrup or agave, and a dash of the chili sauce. Add vodka. Fill glass with ice, top with gingerale, and stir. Garnish with lime.
*All price breakdowns are assuming you have basic things like flour, oil, non dairy milk, common spices, etc. Everything else will be factored in. Also, the price listed is based on the amount used in the recipe.

11 comments:

Embee Breedlove said...

Where is my recipe for those crazyamazing lasagna rollups?!?! I've been thinking about doing something similar as a modification of my classic lasagna, but in comparison it's Donna Reed to your feisty Catwoman.

Anonymous said...

Oh my stars...pumpkin and olive tapanade. It's not even fair. It's 4 in the morning, and if I could I would be raiding your refrigerator for left-overs right now. sigh.

Faith

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

oh man. however did i forget about lasagna rollups?! I'm totally making some with almond ricotta, cremini mushrooms and spinach tonight.

Jen said...

well done mo, well done.

dreaminitvegan said...

Ohhhhhh olive tapanade. These look really good.

jessy said...

sweet gloriousness that is a pantry raid! could you please raid my pantry and make the most awesome of mealz?! pleeeeeease?!? huzzah for bulk lasagna noodles - that rocks socks! i too love me some kill bill, and i super love your kill bill themed eatz. pumkin sauce, black olive tapenade, and portobello yummies. so. awesome. mmmmmmmm!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Melissa-If I wrote it down, I would totally give you the recipe. I'm probably going to make it again soon and tweak a few things.

Faith-What leftovers?! ;p

Lacey-Sounds goooood.

Jen-Thanks!

Dreaminitvegan-Thank ya kindly!

Jessy-It was seriously an accident that I even remembered about lasagna roll ups. But pasta in bulk is so of the awesome!

Duckduck said...

"Vernita's Green Salad"?? AHAHAHAHAHA, love it. And those lasagna roll-ups are so inspiring. They inspire me to eat something tasty.

Veg-In-Training said...

I love your wallet friendly posts. This one is very inspirational and looks very Halloweenie to me (the roll ups). Awesome!

Ms Alex said...

I love moscow mules and that punch sounds amazing!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Ms. Alex, I've never had a Moscow Mule but I am making that...and soon!