Wednesday, September 3, 2014

VeganMoFo VIII: Kaiserschmarrn



The thing I love most about Wednesdays is that I get to redeem myself.  I originally made this recipe in 2011 when I was trying to veganize meals from Best Thing I Ever Ate.  Wolfgang Puck was describing this Austrian pancake dish, and I decided to try it.  However, I mostly just kept making mistakes and getting enraged that I couldn't conquer some pancakes.

This time, I just used this fancy recipe that includes blackberries and peaches.  I substituted in my own pancake recipe (halved and with slight modification).  It made one large pancake and went really well with everything!  Recipe included below.

Fruity, pancakey goodness
Giant Pancake for Kaiserschmarrn

¾ cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp nutmeg
¾ cups non-dairy milk
2 Tbsp maple syrup or agave
1 Tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
1 Tbsp oil
½ tsp vanilla

Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl and stir everything until just mixed. Pour pancake batter into greased large skillet heated over medium high. Flip when bubbles are seen throughout and the edges look dry. Proceed with the linked recipe.

Without a doubt, I'd say this redemption challenge was a huge success! Plus, it was way less stressful than my first attempt three years ago. Haha.

5 comments:

Amey said...

the redemption challenges are a great idea!! how far we've all come as vegan chefs - individually, and collectively as a community. I would love to do this with some of my ancient cooking failures. love it!

Bianca said...

That looks so amazing!!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Awesome challenge, awesome pancake! I like this a lot!

Babette said...

Peaches in pancakes are so terrific.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Amey,

I really love going back and attempting to correct past failures. This is why I love MoFo!