Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Vegan MoFo III: I Got Yer Balls Right Here!

Oreo balls, of course!  Okay.  I promise y'all I'm not slacking.  I absolutely hate saying I'll do something and not being able to do it.  If I am unable to make anything for MoFo, I'll have to push it back to a less busy day.  Today was far too busy for that.  So I only have one recipe and I still owe you pics of those tempeh wingz and a jalapeno cilantro hummus recipe.

I first heard of oreo balls about four years ago.  I was in my "lacto veg/vegan" phase then, recommitting to veganism every two weeks or so.  Some wonderful coworker made these delicious things and when I asked her the name she said, "Oreo balls."  But no.  These are far too elegant for that.  I have classed them up a bit by calling them Oreo Truffles.  Truthfully, I don't even use Oreos.  I just sounds more identifiable than Newman-O Truffles.


Oreo Truffles
(makes a little less than 4 dozen)

1 package chocolate sandwich cookies (NOT double stuffed)
8 oz vegan cream cheese, softened at room temperature
2 cups chocolate chips, plus more if necessary
Chopped nuts, sugar crystals, sprinkles, candied ginger, etc. (optional toppings)

Empty cookies into a food processor and chop until you have small cookie crumbs. Cut the cream cheese into chunks and place in the food processor. Blend until you have a smooth batter/paste like consistency. Empty into a large bowl and refrigerate. I usually pop it into the freezer for about 30 minutes to an hour. You want it to be firm so that it's easier to scoop and roll.

While you wait, get your toppings ready in small bowls or shakers. After that put wax paper onto some cookie sheets. When 45 minutes is up, pour the chocolate chips into a double boiler and melt. If you don't have a double boiler, do like I do: pour the chocolate chips in a metal bowl and set the bowl on top of a saucepan with boiling water in it. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat and place on a stationary surface. Get yourself a regular spoon and fork and now the fun part.

Take a half tablespoon and scoop out some of the cookie mixture. Roll in the palm of your hands until a ball forms. Place on the cookie sheet. Roll about six at a time, then dip them in chocolate. Use the fork to fish them out and the spoon to roll them back on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with whatever toppings you choose. Repeat the process until finished. If you run out of chocolate or it starts to solidify, just add more and heat through again. Once complete place in the fridge or freezer until the chocolate sets, then remove from the cookie sheets with a spatula or knife.  Eat and enjoy!

These things are great for holiday gift baskets.  They are definitely vegan tested, omni approved!  I also made apple cinnamon bars, but I wrote the recipe three years ago and water spilled on the page.  So I added too much liquid.  They are supposed to be the texture of cookies, but ended up looking like a cross between blondies and cake:


I'm not going to promise a recipe for the bars this week.  I am making a ridiculous amount of food tomorrow.  It may have to wait until next week sometime, but there will be a recipe.

And before I forget again.  I won a MoFo contest!  I am getting The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes by Kris Holechek over at the Nom! Nom! Nom! blog.  How stoked am I?  Super stoked!

Now it's review time: refrigerated Almond Breeze is the best, most creamiest, scrumptrulescent thing on earth!  I only wish the health food store by my house would sell the plain unsweetened.  They have unsweetened vanilla but not the plain.  What the crap?!  Seriously though.  This stuff is amazingly creamy and delicious.  I highly recommend it.  I don't even like having soy milk in the house anymore.  I found that I was just consuming way too many things with soy.  That's when I started getting hooked on almond milk.  Rice milk is too thin for me.  Oat milk tastes like paste.  Almond milk is where it's at, but the shelf stable stuff pales in comparison to the refrigerated kind.  Mmm.

That's all for now.  Tomorrow is miniature Thanksgiving!

15 comments:

Embee Breedlove said...

1) these balls totally have x-mas party written all over them.

2) congrats on your awardey-thing!

3) i am so all up on the unsweetened almond breeze junx, you have no idea.

Anonymous said...

Both the Oreo balls and apple bars look delicious! I never had Oreo balls before, but they do sound dangerously addictive :)

Anonymous said...

Ohhh myyy God....these sound INCREDIBLE and EVIL- I will make them soon :) Thank you!!

Heather said...

I could not be trusted around those truffles, but damn they look good.

I thought I was alone in thinking there was a difference between the refrigerated vs. shelf-stable almond milk. Truthfully, I've only seen the vanilla unsweetened in the half gallon carton. Almond milk has been my saving grace since quitting soy milk.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Heather-I keep them in the freezer so I'm less inclined to inhale them. :)

KitteeBee said...

Three words:
Candy Cane Jo-Jos.

xo
kittee

Jen Treehugger said...

Congratulations on your win that is super awesome and I'm just loving those truffles. YUM!

Eddie G said...

Hellz yeah!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) said...

Woah, these truffles look amazing! I would be way too tempted to eat more of these than I need to. They seem like the perfect dessert to bring to a holiday party.

Anonymous said...

Oreo Truffles!!! yum

Andrea said...

I wish I'd had this recipe last year when I was at my old job. My coworkers would have LOVED them, and it would have freaked them out to hear they were vegan.

Almond milk goes on my shopping list today. I like rice milk but you've convinced me to try almond - if I can find it!

Alin said...

Those are insane. Just crazy insane.

Mini-Thanksgiving! Can't wait to read about that.....

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Kittee-I've never made them with Candy Cane Jo-Jos before, but I have made them with Ginger O-s. That was awesome! Well, I guess I'll have to make a trip to TJs so I can have some minty truffles.

Mihl-Beware: These things are ridiculously easy to make and addictive!

Andrea-I am also a fan of rice milk but I can never find a good one over here. They usually only have low fat plain so it's not really creamy. But I am in love with this new refrigerated Almond Breeze.

aTxVegn said...

Oh what decadent truffles!

I love almond milk too. I always keep a carton of plain and a carton of vanilla on hand.

Can't wait for mini Thanksgiving!

jessy said...

for the love of everything that is awesome in this world – hooray for oreo balls!!! i am totally going to have to make these for the holidays. i wonder if i can make something similar, but gluten-free for myself. oh my goodness – i need to at least try! wow!