Friday, October 10, 2008

VeganMoFo: Gourmet Wine Tasting

Because cheese crackers are so classy. Let's take a moment and talk about the awesome that is Eco Planet's non dairy cheddar crackers. Those things are like vegan crack. Seriously addictive. Rec-o-gnize!


Anyway. In a couple of weeks I am dedicating a day to alcohol. Today, I wanted to get into wine pairing. I don't know much about wine. I know that I generally like whites and loathe reds. I picked up a Smoking Loon Viognier and a Rex Goliath Cabernet Sauvignon today. I made me a plate of the aforementioned cheese crackers, strawberries, black grapes, Teese and bread soaked in olive oil and toasted.
I basically tasted the wine by itself, took notes on my initial impression, then tasted it with each item. This is totally not scientific. This is me getting my buzz on at 3 in the PM. Here are the results:

Smoking Loon Viognier
Sweet, fruity, spicy

Grapes-Made the wine a bit bitter.
Teese-Hell.no.
Crackers-Not very good.
Strawberries-Made the wine tasteless.
Bread-Quite tasty.

Rex Goliath Cabernet Sauvignon
Sweet, barrel-ly

Grapes-Made the wine bitter.
Teese-Fuck.that.
Crackers-Really quite tasty.
Strawberries-Super bitter.
Bread-Yum to the max.
At the end of the day, that Viognier is effing great to drink but I'm not about to pair it with anything. And the Cabernet Sauvignon goes well with things, but tastes like booty (b-b-booty). And Teese should not be paired with wine. Blech. Also today I made the Curried Split Pea Soup from VWAV. So stinking good. I'm eating it right now even. This is such a delicious soup. The picture so does not do it justice.
Tomorrow, I'm typing my entry a lot earlier. And I can't wait until Iron Chef ingredients are revealed.

3 comments:

Bex said...

it's probably a good thing those crackers aren't readily available at my co-op or we would have a serious problem.

Destiny's Kitchen said...

I've never seen those crackers before! You're making me want to host a wine-tasting party. Oh wait, I just remembered I'm broke. :o)

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! And I want those crackers, I've never seen them! Very nice mofo :)