Monday, October 27, 2008

VeganMoFo: Blanket Forts and Cap'n Crunch

My earliest breakfast memory happened around this time of year. Picture, if you will, the late 80s. New Kids on the Block was rockin hard. I'm talking cartoons, coloring books, and sheets. It was a simpler time then. A time of stirrup pants and waterfall bangs. It was a time when you could actually maybe see snow in San Antonio. I couldn't have been any more than 6. I remember it being super cold one day, but I convinced my dad to let me and my baby sister build a fort in the backyard.

It wasn't much of a fort. We just threw some blankets up and huddled below them. We sat in the crisp autumn air, eating bowls of Cap'n Crunch and reading books. That cereal will always remind me of my youth and how freedom really feels. As a kid, you live in this world where everything is a possibility. Everything. And you trust everybody around you.

Then, one day, at the tender age of seven you discover Santa isn't real and that your parents have been lying to you for years. And you never view life the same way again. You feel duped and misanthropic. Trust? Gone. Possibility? Left with Santa and his nonexistent reindeer. And you long for those days of yesteryear when eating Cap'n Crunch in the freezing cold was fun and fulfilling. But you know it will never happen. You will continue on until you pass the second grade and move to the third...and life will only get harder and more complicated. And all you ever wanted was a fort and a bowl of effing cereal!

So. Today I made French toast out of the chocolate babka I made the other day. No pictures because it didn't photograph too well. However, it was freakin good. Here's the recipe for my French toast batter. I usually like mine made out of Texas toast. Because everything's better in Texas!

French Toast Batter
3 Tbsp chickpea flour
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
pinch of cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg
1 cup almond milk (or whatever you have)
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk dry ingredients together in medium bowl. Add almond milk and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.

I encourage all of you to build a pillow fort today for nostalgia's sake. Then cuddle up with a good slasher flick because Halloween is only days away. I suppose there are, at least, a few things that make life good after you lose your innocence. Things that make me happy today: anything related to Joss Whedon, horror movies, teen movies, serial killer books, my puppies, my husband, blogging, John C. McGinley, and the fact that I already voted for Obama. Peace out, suckas!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post~I'm lovin' your work!
I've pencilled in a pillow fort,a bowl of cereal, and a horror film for Friday night while my hubby's out playing sport! :o)
Ah, memories *sigh*

Tami said...

Ahhhh....forts! Those were the good old days.

Your french toast sounds yummy!

Sarah said...

mmm stirrup pants! stylin. especially for chubby kids like myself. alas.

aTxVegn said...

Great story. I'm trying to remember snow in Austin, and it seems like San Antone always got more snow than us. I also remember going to a friend's house who had a picnic table in the backyard we would turn over, cover in blankets, and make our fort. I think we ate raw potatoes????

Your French and/or Texas toast is delicious I'm sure. I hope you enjoyed your day.

Bex said...

oh the stirrup pants. so guilty