Sunday, May 24, 2009

Jamaica Me Crazy

It's Memorial Day weekend so I've allowed myself to eat more cooked foods. I was watching the Food Network last week and saw this episode of Cooking for Real that involved Jamaican food. Well, I got a super craving for the Jerk Seitan and Coconut Rice in VWAV.
First of all, I should probably say that I generally hate Cooking for Real and Sunny Anderson. Every time I watch her show, she mispronounces something. That's a huge pet peeve of mine. If you say jalapeno without pronouncing the enye, then you are dead to me! Dead, I say! But I did like that she had a completely vegan mango and avocado salad.
Plus, I threw in some fried platanos for good measure. That's "plantains" for all you people who don't know your Spanish. It was a good move.
I also made some cucumber juice. It's an incredibly refreshing drink made from English cucumbers. Though, I have to say that I thought it was a bit sweet. Even when I added ice. I will definitely cut back on the sugar, but it was delicious!
Mean Green Cucumber Juice
BY SUNNY ANDERSON (recipe originally found here)

2 English cucumbers
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups water
cheesecloth

Directions
Peel the cucumbers, saving the peels. Grate cucumber flesh on a box grater. In a medium saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. When sugar dissolves, add the grated cucumber and simmer until cucumber is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

In a blender, puree reserved cucumber peel and cucumber syrup until smooth. Line a strainer with cheese cloth over a bowl. Strain cucumber mixture. Gather cheesecloth in 1 hand to squeeze out all of the juice. Chill until cool, about 1 hour. Serve in glasses over ice.
I guess grilling season is officially here! I really wish we hadn't left ours in San Antonio. Although, I saw this nifty thing today on how to turn a flower pot into a grill. Color me intrigued...

7 comments:

Eddie G said...

Yum! I was just thinking about plantains yesterday :P

Sunny Anderson said...

sorry you hate me and the show, but glad you liked the food, it's what i'm here for! i do speak a bit of spanish, but the accent escapes me ... :-(, plus i've lived so many places that catching the proper inflection is hard at times. some people hear it and for the region they are in, it sounds fine, for you ... not so much. i'll live, i just hope you can get through one ep without me stressing you out with my diction lol. remember, it isn't about me, it's about the food! :-) take care foodie!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Dearest Sunny,

Oh no! I always forget that people don't get my sense of humor. It was all in jest! I don't actually hate you or wish people dead for not pronouncing the enye. Ha ha.

The food was absolutely delicious! And I am always stoked when I see vegan recipes on Food Network. I saw your show several times last week and you even mentioned "vegan." Plus, you rep San Antonio.

Trust: you're all good in my book. Ha ha.

mo

Erin said...

That entire meal looks amazing, as well as the cucumber juice, and now I totally want jerk seitan too.

jessy said...

i can’t believe i’ve never had vwav’s coconut rice or jerk seitan – they look most excellent! too awesome on the plantains – what a tasty decision! and cucumber juice & mango-avocado salsa?!?! mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

i love cucumber juice. but i would never add anything but lime or some wheat grass to it. it's super sweet already :)
p.s. i hate you all for being able to eat seitan. DAMN THIS WHEAT GLUTEN INTOLERANCE!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Lacey, I've never tried the jerk sauce with tofu, but I bet if you do the freeze and thaw method it would be most excellent. Bill and Ted's style!

Also, I'm sure you've said this on LJ, but how long have you been gluten free now?