Monday, April 27, 2009

Convenience Eating and Changing Times

A couple of weeks ago my husband and I spent close to 30 bucks in Soup Plantation. We had never ever been before, but we thought that it seemed like a good idea. I mean, how unfriendly could it be? It's a soup and salad bar.

Let me tell you something. There is absolutely nothing satisfying about the lack of vegan options in this place. The salad bar was fine...maybe a bit too much meat. The dressings were kinda craptacular. If they didn't have dairy in them, they most certainly had honey. So I settled for low fat Italian and French...which were the only clean ones.

Out of the 6 soups that were being served, I could only eat two. The hot bar had not one single bread option that didn't include dairy or eggs. And at the end of this disappointing ride, the entire dessert bar was dairy and gelatin. Oh, except for the shriveled up grapes and pineapple. Yum!

It was then that I decided I could make this at home for much less money with better quality ingredients. So I went home and chopped a bunch of veggies. I packed them in tupperware and spent the next couple of days eating salad. How simple this made my life! Now, I'm the first to admit that I don't like salad all the time, but I do love how easy it is. Plus, throwing some beans in there or tofu maybe...makes it feel super substantial. So no more salad bars for me. I already despise buffets, but to know that I can't even get a good deal at a salad bar is disturbing to me.

In other news, I'm trying to figure out where to take this here blog. I keep coming back to the fact that I want to live more of a raw foods lifestyle, but it is going to be super expensive and/or time consuming for me to get essential things. I was thinking about starting small and accumulating more over time. A bag of cacao powder here, a Vitamix there....you get the picture. I may be able to con my husband into getting me an Excalibur for my birthday. I currently have a dehydrator without temperature control and it's circular. It's definitely a bit frustrating.

Right now this blog has little direction. However, I do find myself most inspired by the raw community lately and maybe that will be my muse. I do promise more blogging and more reading of the blogs. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some dishes to do.

3 comments:

Bex said...

I hear you on the raw foods thing. Aside from the dehydrator I am pretty well equipped and I don't feel it's essential. I'm having a hard time with managing feeding two people on two different diet preferences. Menu planning is the key I suppose and smart shopping. I did feel my best when I was eating high raw though.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Yes! I am all about the menu planning.

aTxVegn said...

I think raw gets more appealing in the warmer weather. I hope you'll continue exploring raw foods and sharing them with us!