Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pre Payday Meals

I don't know about you, but I've definitely had to get creative with the meals between paydays. I am an obsessive person when it comes to grocery lists. I have ingredients down to the exact number I need for the recipes I'd like to make. Sometimes we grab extras just because, but we mostly stick to the list.

A couple of weeks ago, I ran out of ingredients needed to test for Viva Vegan. It was a couple of days before we planned to shop, so I pieced together some things out of random ingredients I had leftover. Here's what I did. I had one poblano pepper, a bit of garlic, and some rice. I fashioned together this killer poblano rice. It was so good, but I knew it was missing something. My husband wanted peas, but I knew it was corn. I made it again a few days ago with the corn and that made the difference!

poblano rice with cashew crema (Viva Vegan tester) and avocado

Of course, rice just isn't complete without a little bean action. I swear I could live off of rice and beans. So, all I had to work with was about a cup of dried black beans, some garlic and an orange. I just recently discovered how fantastic black beans and orange taste together so I came up with these sun kissed black beans. The orange adds a subtle fruity flavor. The garlic, jalapeno, and cilantro pair well with it.

poblano rice, sun kissed black beans, and yuca with cuban mojo sauce (Viva Vegan tester)

I'm gonna post the recipe for the rice and beans soonish. My friend gets back from Indiana in a couple of weeks, so we'll discuss getting this show/vlog thing up hopefully some time in August. Until then all I can promise is that I'll post more frequently so I don't disappoint my mom. Sheesh. Hee hee.

So what's your favorite pre payday meal?

10 comments:

amy said...

mmm, orangey black beans sound like the MOVE. i might play around with that idea a little on my own, but i'll keep my eyes peeled for your recipe.

Jen said...

looks good mo! i have three favorite pre-payday meals i like to make: pad thai, pizza, or burrito casserole. all three of these things are regulars in our meal rotations and i can make with my eyes closed.

Bex said...

that looks so good, I can't wait to get back to a real kitchen.

Just about every meal is a prepayday meal these days. We go for the ol stand by of rice and beans adding whatever veg is cheap and/or on sale or just herbs and spices.

x said...

I'm loving that rice dish, looks delicious!

I like having a really easy meal of steamed broccoli, green beans and mushies with either tamari or peanut sauce, very cheap and super quick!

aTxVegn said...

Anxious for the black bean recipe! My favorite low budget meal is baked sweet potato stuffed with leftover anything - beans, veggies, salsa....

k said...

I hear you on the beans and rice. Being broke can taste pretty good sometimes. I can't hear beans and rice without remembering this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heKYNWFBkW8


Looking forward to more testers from Vegan Latina, can't wait to trick the familia!

k said...

I hear you on the beans and rice. Being broke can taste pretty good sometimes. I can't hear beans and rice without remembering this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heKYNWFBkW8


Looking forward to more testers from Vegan Latina, can't wait to trick the familia!

Erin said...

Woah, that meal looks fantastic! Especially for just before payday. I typically will do a stir-fry or pasta with all the veggie odds and ends if I have to wait to shop.

Sunny Anderson said...

girl ... u need to put in an app for next food network star. your food looks delish and it's healthy! or a cookbook or something!!! anyway, just stoppin by and a pic grabbed my eye!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Everybody, thanks for all the awesome words and meal ideas! I definitely will have to try some of this stuff soon.